Malaysian Beef Curry
A Malaysian-style spicy beef and potato curry with a hint of coconut. Serve on a bed of jasmine rice.
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium baking potato (approx 320g), peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 500g of beef stewing steak, fat removed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 100g of creamed coconut
- 280g of Thai jasmine rice
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 500ml beef stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 70 mins
- Price per person: £1.62
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 793
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.8
- Print Recipe
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large saucepan and fry the beef for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil to the saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and red chilli for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the turmeric, cumin and chilli powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Return the beef to the pan and stir in the potato, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, cinnamon, beef stock and creamed coconut. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is tender. Add a little water if necessary.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, cook the rice according to the packet instructions so that it is ready at the same time as the sauce.
- Season the curry to taste and serve immediately with the cooked rice.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)