This recipe features in these meal plans: Autumn Specials.
Pasta tossed with caponata sauce - a rich, slightly piquant Sicilian-style aubergine and tomato sauce with capers, red onion and olives.
- 1 medium aubergine, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 medium red onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 227g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tsp raisins
- 2 tsp capers
- 150g of conchiglie pasta shells
- 30g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 30g of black olives, halved
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp white caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £1.72
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 561
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.8
- Print Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the aubergine and a generous pinch of salt. Gently fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the aubergine is lightly softened.
- Add more oil the to pan, if necessary, and fry the onion, garlic and oregano for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the capers, olives and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the vinegar has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Add the tomatoes, sugar and raisins and season with salt and pepper. Gently cook, covered, for 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Add a little water if the sauce becomes dry.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions so that it is ready at about the same time as the sauce.
- Toss the pasta and two-thirds of the parsley with the caponata sauce. Serve immediately topped with grated Parmesan and the remaining parsley.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)