Fisherman's Pie with Peas
Mixed fish and prawns in a creamy leek sauce topped with mashed potatoes.
- 320g of fish pie mix
- 200g of cooked and peeled prawns
- 1 large leek (approx 310g), sliced
- 2 medium baking potatoes (approx 320g each), peeled and diced
- 200g of frozen peas
- 5 tbsp margarine/butter
- 575ml of milk
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £2.06
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 608
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.9
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. For the mashed potato topping, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with 2 tbsp margarine/butter and 125ml milk. Season well with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to poach the fish, pour 450ml milk into a saucepan and add the fish mix. Carefully heat the milk, being careful not to let it boil over, and gently simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Remove the fish, reserving the poaching milk, and set aside.
- Melt 3 tbsp margarine/butter in a frying pan and cook the leek for 5-6 minutes, or until soft. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the poaching milk. Simmer, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the fish pie mix and cooked prawns.
- Spoon the fish mixture into the bottom of an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potatoes. Run the prongs of a fork over the surface of the mash to give it a rustic look. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the peas according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the mixed fish pie with the cooked peas.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)