Bacon, Borlotti & Pasta Stew
A hearty stew with bacon, borlotti beans, pasta and vegetables.
- 400g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250g of value smoked back bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion (approx 210g), finely chopped
- 185g of black olives, thinly sliced
- 2 small leeks (approx 210g each), finely chopped
- 410g of borlotti beans
- 1 medium courgette (approx 240g), thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot (approx 185g), thickly sliced
- 100g of value pasta shapes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 tsp grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 800ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £1.29
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 523
- 5-a-day per serving: 3
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the bacon for 5 minutes, or until crispy. Add the onion, garlic, carrots and leeks and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until tender. Add the courgette and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, olives, beans, mixed herbs and the pasta. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked and the stew develops a thicker consistency. Add a little water if it becomes dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the stew in bowls sprinkled with the Parmesan cheese.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)