Aubergine & Mushroom Lasagne
An aubergine and mushroom lasagne baked in the oven with a mozzarella topping and served with a green salad.
- 1 large aubergine, sliced
- 1 value mozzarella ball, sliced
- 800g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 170g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 140g of mixed salad leaves
- 10 closed cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 1 of round lettuce, leaves torn
- 3 large tomatoes (approx 115g each), sliced
- 8 value lasagne sheets
- 7 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 60g of margarine/butter
- 570ml of milk
- 60g of plain white flour
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 tsp vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £2.08
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 0
- 5-a-day per serving: 0
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. To make the tomato sauce, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and fry the the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and 1 tbsp mixed herbs. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce has developed a smoother consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the tomato sauce simmers, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergine in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- To make the white sauce, melt the margarine/butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste into a smooth and glossy consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Stir in 120g cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Soften the lasagne sheets in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rub the surfaces with 1/2 tbsp oil to stop them sticking.
- To assemble the lasagne, arrange a layer of aubergine and mushroom in the bottom of a large rectangular ovenproof dish. Next add a layer of the tomato sauce and a layer of the white sauce. Top with a layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat the process until all the ingredients are used up. Finish with a layer of white sauce.
- Mix the mozzarella and remaining cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the lasagne and bake for 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
- 5 minutes before the lasagne is cooked, prepare the salad dressing. Mix together the vinegar, 4 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp mixed herbs. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss the lettuce and tomato with the dressing and serve immediately with the cooked lasagne.
To reduce cooking time in the oven, soften the dried lasagne sheets in a saucepan of boiling water with a little oil to prevent them from sticking.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)