Braised Chicken & Beans
Braised chicken with kidney beans, carrots, mushrooms and peas.
- 1 medium carrot (approx 125g), sliced
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), finely chopped
- 227g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 220g of tinned red kidney beans, drained
- 2 closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 value skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 50g of frozen peas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £1.80
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 445
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.9
- Print Recipe
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes, or until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan (if required) and fry the garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Add the carrot and mushrooms and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Return the browned chicken to the pan and mix in the stock, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, mixed herbs and tomato purée. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. 3 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)