Braised Chicken with Fennel & Orange
Chicken braised with fennel and orange and served with roasted potatoes.
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 1 medium fennel (approx 350g), cut into wedges
- 3 large new potatoes (approx 110g each), quartered
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 250ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g margarine/butter
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 75 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.98
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 887
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.7
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Season the chicken legs generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat and fry the chicken legs for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned and the skin is crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion, fennel and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the mixed herbs, orange juice, stock and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes, then transfer to a greased ovenproof dish and lay the chicken legs on top. Cover and roast on the middle shelf of the oven for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Drain well and transfer to a baking tray. Toss the potatoes with the butter, 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 40 minutes, or until crispy.
Toss the potatoes every 10-15 minutes so they crisp evenly.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)