A classic Italian beef and tomato bolognese sauce served with spaghetti and topped with Parmesan cheese.
- 400-500g pack of value minced beef
- 800g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 300g of value spaghetti
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tsp grated Parmesan
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Price per person: £0.62
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 724
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.5
- Print Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and fry the beef mince over a high heat for 5-6 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and cook the onion and garlic over a low heat for 4-5 minutes, or until soft.
- Return the browned mince to the pan and stir in the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, mixed herbs and stock. Bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Add a little water if the bolognese becomes dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Towards the end of the bolognese cooking time cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the bolognese over the spaghetti and top with Parmesan cheese.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)