Fisherman's Pie with Broccoli
A classic fish pie with mixed fish, peas and boiled egg in a white sauce and topped with golden mashed potato.
- 320g of fish pie mix
- 1 small head of broccoli (200g), cut into florets
- 1 large baking potato, quartered
- 100g of frozen peas
- 1 medium egg, washed under cold water
- 280ml of milk
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 50 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £2.37
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 0
- 5-a-day per serving: 0
- Print Recipe
- Cook the potatoes and egg in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, carefully bring 250ml milk to the boil in a saucepan and add the fish pie mix. Lower the heat and gently poach for 2-3 minutes, or until the fish is cooked. Remove the fish and set aside. Reserve the poaching milk for the white sauce.
- Drain the egg and potatoes. Run the egg under cold water until it is cool. Meanwhile, mash the cooked potatoes with 1 tbsp margarine/butter and 30ml (2 tbsp) milk until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Once the egg is cool remove the shell and cut into 1 cm cubes.
- To make the white sauce, melt 1 tbsp of margarine/butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much of the poaching milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste into a smooth and glossy consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the poached fish, cooked egg and peas into the white sauce and spoon into an ovenproof dish. Spread the mash over the mix, brush with the oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- After 25 minutes, cook the broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Serve the golden fish pie with the broccoli on the side.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)