Lemon Roast Chicken & Vegetables
Lemon roast chicken breasts with crispy potatoes, parsnips and carrots.
- 2 medium lemons, halved lengthways
- 2 medium carrots (approx 125g each), sliced
- 2 medium baking potatoes (approx 320g each), peeled and cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 4 value skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 large red onion (approx 210g), cut into 8 wedges
- 2 medium parsnips (approx 285g each), peeled and cut into 5cm long batons
- 4 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp margarine/butter
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 300ml gravy, made according to packet instructions
- 2 white caster sugar
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.82
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 595
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.4
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a small pan and gently heat with the margarine/butter, mixed herbs and sugar until the margarine/butter melts and becomes fragrant.
- Cut the remaining lemon into eight wedges and place into a roasting tin with the potato, parsnip, carrot, red onion and garlic cloves. Drizzle the lemon and herb butter over the vegetables and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss together and roast for an initial 20 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have been roasting for 10 minutes, brown the chicken. Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper, heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat, then fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables in the roasting tin and roast for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are crispy.
- When the chicken and vegetables are nearly ready, prepare the gravy according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the roasted lemon chicken and vegetables on plates and pour over the gravy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)