Pasta alla Norma
Traditional Sicilian fried aubergine and tomato spaghetti.
- 1/4 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 200g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 small aubergine, cut into 1cm cubes
- 75g of spaghetti
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- pinch of chilli powder
- 1 tsp grated Parmesan
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £0.75
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 433
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.9
- Print Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergine for 5-6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the chilli powder and fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker, smoother consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions to be ready at the same time as the sauce.
- Stir the cooked aubergine into the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Serve immediately topped with the Parmesan cheese.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)