Chicken, carrot and parsnip in a white wine sauce, topped with a crispy layer of potato slices.
- 1 skinless chicken breast fillet, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 medium new potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 50ml of white wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small garlic clove, chopped
- 50ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 50 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £2.74
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 474
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.4
- Print Recipe
- Parboil the potato in lightly salted boiling water for 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- In a saucepan, simmer the wine until it is reduced by half, then pour in the stock.
- Transfer the chicken mix to an ovenproof dish. Layer the parsnip and carrot over the top of the chicken and sprinkle with the thyme and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper and arrange the potato slices on top. Pour in the wine and stock to just below the potato slices. Place the butter on top of the chicken and vegetable stack. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the potato slices are browned and crispy. Serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)