Italian Bean & Pork Stew
A flavoursome classic combination of pork and beans known in Italy as Spezzatino di Mialea.
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red pepper, diced
- 410g of tinned cannellini beans, drained
- 400g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 value pork chops
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 11/2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Price per person: £2.01
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 975
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.5
- Print Recipe
- Remove the bones from the pork chops, trim off the fat and cut the meat into 2cm cubes. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and fry the pork for 5-6 minutes, or until browned. Add the pepper and garlic and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until the pepper becomes soft.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Add the cannellini beans and simmer, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes. Add a little water if the stew becomes dry.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, divide between bowls and serve topped with the Parmesan cheese.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)