Root Veg & Cheese Rosti
A potato and parsnip rosti with a centre of melted cheddar cheese. Served topped with a poached egg.
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 40g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 medium parsnip, peeled and grated
- 3 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), peeled and grated
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £1.52
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 641
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.4
- Print Recipe
- Use a clean tea-towel or cloth to squeeze the moisture out of the grated potato and parsnip then mix with the onion, garlic and mixed herbs in a bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and spread half of the vegetable mixture evenly over the surface. Sprinkle on the cheese and add the rest of the vegetable mixture evenly on top. Use a wooden spatula or spoon to press down and compact the rosti to an even thickness.
- Fry over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until the bottom is browned. Press down on the rosti every couple of minutes to compact the ingredients and ensure it all holds together. Once the bottom is browned, carefully flip the rosti over and fry the other side for a further 6-8 minutes, or until browned.
- Meanwhile, for the poached egg, bring a deep pan of water to the boil. Add the vinegar and gently swirl the water around the pan to make a whirlpool. Crack the egg into the middle of the whirlpool and simmer for four minutes. Carefully remove the egg with a slotted spoon. Serve the rosti topped with the poached egg and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)