Sausage & Bacon Casserole
Sausage, bacon and kidney bean casserole with a rosemary breadcrumb crust.
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), chopped
- 3 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 3 pork sausages, thickly sliced
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 220g of tinned red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 medium red pepper (155g), cut into 1cm pieces
- 50g of breadcrumbs
- 400ml beef stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.19
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 649
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.8
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and cook the sausages and bacon for 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic to the pan, and the remaining olive oil (if required) and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Return the sausage and bacon to the pan and add the tomatoes, stock, kidney beans and thyme. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce has developed a thicker consistency.
- Season the sauce to taste and spoon into an ovenproof dish. Evenly sprinkle on the the breadcrumbs and rosemary and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- To serve, ladle the casserole into warmed bowls.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)