Sweet Chilli Sausages
Sausages and roasted aubergine in a sweet chilli sauce served on a bed of couscous.
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), sliced
- 1 small aubergine, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 5 pork sausages, thickly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes (approx 100g each), deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red pepper (155g), finely chopped
- 150g of couscous
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp white caster sugar
- 180ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Oven temp: 220c
- Price per person: £1.37
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 927
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.4
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Place the aubergine in a roasting tray, drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the aubergine begins to char and become crispy.
- Meanwhile, to make the sweet chilli sauce, mix together the lemon juice, tomato puree, chilli powder and sugar, then set aside.
- Once the aubergine has been in the oven for 5 minutes, heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the sausages and onion over a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the sausages are cooking, prepare the couscous according to the packet instructions, using the vegetable stock instead of water. Season with salt and pepper, and mix in the tomato, pepper and ground coriander.
- Add the sweet chilli sauce and aubergine to the pan with the sausages and onion and cook for 1 minute, or until piping hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve on a bed of couscous.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)