Mushroom & Thyme Bruschetta
This recipe features in these meal plans: Light Suppers.
Toasted ciabatta bread topped with thyme-sautéed mushrooms and a poached egg.
- 200g of large seasonal mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 ciabatta roll, or similar, cut into 2 slices
- 1 free range medium egg
- 1/2 small clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp margarine/butter
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Price per person: £1.69
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 399
- 5-a-day per serving: 2
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the grill to high and bring a deep pan of water to the boil for poaching the egg. Place the bread slices under the grill for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Gently rub the garlic over the cut side of the toasted bread. (Raw garlic is very strong, don't overdo it.) Discard the remainder of the garlic clove.
- Heat the oil and margarine/butter in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms and thyme for 4-5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, for the poached egg, add the vinegar to the pan of boiling water and gently swirl the water around the pan to make a whirlpool. Crack the egg into the middle of the whirlpool and simmer for four minutes. Carefully remove the egg with a slotted spoon.
- To serve, simply place the toasted ciabatta on a plate, spoon over the mushrooms and top with the poached egg.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)