A classic cottage pie with minced beef and a creamy potato topping.
- 125g of minced beef
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small baking potato (approx 250g), peeled and diced
- 200g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp margarine/butter
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp plain white flour
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 50 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.64
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 618
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.1
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms, garlic and herbs and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in the minced beef and fry for 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the flour and add the tomatoes and tomato purée. Gently simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency.
- While the beef sauce simmers, cook the potato in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Season the meat sauce with salt and pepper and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Drain and mash the potatoes with the milk and margarine/butter and season with salt. Spoon the mash evenly over the minced beef mixture and run the prongs of a fork over the top of the mash to give it a rustic look. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the mash is lightly browned and crispy. Serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)