Creamy layers of potato and bacon, topped with cheese and baked in the oven until golden and bubbling.
- 1/2 of round lettuce, leaves torn
- 1/2 of a half cucumber portion, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes (approx 115g each), sliced
- 250g of value smoked back bacon, chopped
- 300ml of double cream
- 4 small baking potatoes (approx 250g each), peeled and cut into 4mm slices
- 100g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 75ml of vegetable oil (5 tbsp)
- 3 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.55
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 1204
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.7
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Parboil the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 6-8 minutes, or until almost tender.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan, if required, and fry the bacon for 5-6 minutes, or until crispy.
- Arrange half the potatoes in the bottom of an ovenproof dish and season with salt and pepper. Spoon on the onion and bacon then cover with the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and pour the cream evenly over the top. Sprinkle on the grated cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbling.
- To make the vinaigrette, mix together the vinegar and 3 tbsp oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the lettuce, cucumber and tomato together with the dressing and serve immediately with the tartiflette.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)