Classic pizza from Naples topped with anchovies, capers, chilli and fresh basil. Served with a simple side salad.
- one and a half mozzarella balls, sliced
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), finely chopped
- 227g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100g of mixed salad leaves
- 1 pizza base mix
- 8 anchovies, halved lengthways
- 2 tsp capers
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 fresh green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Oven temp: 220c
- Price per person: £3.35
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 650
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.7
- Print Recipe
- Mix 1 tbsp olive oil with the lemon juice, chilli and capers in a bowl. Add the anchovies and set aside to marinade.
- To make the pizza sauce, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and oregano. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the sauce develops a smoother consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pizza dough according to the packet instructions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 1/2 cm thick and 30cm (12 inches) across.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay the pizza base on top. Evenly spoon on the tomato sauce and arrange the mozzarella and anchovy fillets on top. Pour over the marinade. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the pizza in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the base of the crust is crisp.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad dressing. Mix together the balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once the pizza is cooked, remove from the oven and scatter on the basil leaves. Toss the salad leaves with the dressing and serve alongside the pizza.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)