This recipe works in combination with: Home-made Beans on Toast.
A mildly spiced mixed mushroom stroganoff served on a bed of rice.
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 14 closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 250g of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 300ml of creme fraiche
- 240g of value long grain rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 4
- Course: Lunch
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £0.91
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 594
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.9
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato puree, chilli powder and curry powder, mix well and fry for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the stock and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce has developed a thicker consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions to be ready at the same time as the stroganoff.
- Remove the stroganoff from the heat, mix in the creme fraiche, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the stroganoff and rice between plates and enjoy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)