Beef Burgers & Chips
Beef burgers with lettuce, tomato and a red onion relish, served with chips and a side salad.
- 1 large tomato (approx 115g), sliced
- 1 small red onion (approx 110g), sliced
- 2 small tomatoes (approx 75g each), coarsely chopped
- 4 quarter pounder beef burgers
- 1 of round lettuce, roughly shredded
- 4 bread rolls, halved
- 600g of frozen oven chips
- 4 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tsp margarine/butter
- 4 tsp white caster sugar
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £1.66
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 856
- 5-a-day per serving: 2
- Print Recipe
- Cook the chips and beef burgers according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, to make the salad dressing, mix together 2 tbsp oil, 1/2 tbsp vinegar and the mixed herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the red onion relish, heat the margarine/butter and 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry over a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and 4 tbsp vinegar, turn up the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the relish develops a thicker, jam-like consistency. Add a little water if the relish becomes dry.
- Assemble the burgers with the red onion relish, tomato slices and lettuce. Toss the chopped tomatoes and remaining lettuce with the salad dressing. Serve the beef burgers with the salad and cooked chips.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)