Toad in the Hole with Mash & Gravy
Sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding batter and served with gravy, potato mash and a side of broccoli.
- 5 value sausages, halved in the middle
- 2 medium baking potatoes (approx 320g each), peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium head of broccoli (approx 300g each), cut into florets
- 50g of plain white flour
- 1 free range medium egg
- 185ml of milk
- 1/2 tbsp margarine/butter
- 150ml gravy, made up from granules
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Oven temp: 220c
- Price per person: £1.05
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 985
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.9
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. To make the batter, sift the flour into a bowl and add the thyme. Whisk in the egg and gradually stir in 125ml milk until the batter is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the sausages over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Meanwhile, pour 1 tbsp oil into a baking tray and place in the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until very hot.
- Carefully add the sausages to the pre-heated baking tray and pour on the batter. Immediately return to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the batter is golden and crisp. Avoid opening the oven door for the first 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender. In a separate pan, cook the broccoli in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the potato and mash with the margarine/butter and 60ml milk until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the toad in the hole with potato mash, cooked broccoli and gravy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)