Butternut Squash Farfalle
This recipe works in combination with: Pesto Minestrone with Basil Ciabatta, Red Onion & Ricotta Calzone with Tomato Salad, Sunblush Tomato, Olive & Basil Gnocchi. This recipe features in these meal plans: Italian Specials.
Farfalle pasta tossed in a creamy butternut squash and sage sauce and topped with Parmesan cheese.
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash (approx 600g), deseeded, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 150ml of single cream
- 300g of farfalle pasta bows
- 5 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 80g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 30g of butter
- pinch of nutmeg
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £1.16
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 894
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.9
- Print Recipe
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the butternut squash, onion and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, covered and stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the onion is soft and the butternut squash begins to break down.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and reserve 2 tbsp cooking water.
- Stir the cream, reserved water, sage and half the Parmesan into the butternut squash mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the butternut squash sauce with the cooked pasta, top with the remaining Parmesan and serve immediately.
If you have leftover sage, we recommend freezing it. Just rinse and pat dry the whole leaves, then put them in a resealable freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)