Cheesy Bread & Butter Bake
This recipe features in these meal plans: From the Creamery.
A cheesy savoury bread and butter pudding served with garlic mushrooms.
- 6 closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 180g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), chopped
- 4 slices of value white bread, crusts removed
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 200ml of milk
- 3 tbsp margarine/butter
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £1.38
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 939
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.2
- Print Recipe
- Spread 2 tbsp margarine/butter onto the bread and cut each slice diagonally into four triangles. Arrange half of the bread evenly over the base of an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese, half the onion and half the mixed herbs. Repeat the process and season with salt and pepper.
- Beat together the milk and egg and season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the bread layers and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until risen and golden.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp margarine/butter in a small frying pan and gently fry the mushrooms and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the Cheddar bread bake with the garlic mushrooms.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)