Creamy Mushroom Crumble
Baked mushroom crumble with a crunchy cashew nut topping.
- 8 closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 40g of cashew nuts, finely chopped
- 75ml of single cream
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp plain white flour
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp margarine/butter
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £1.47
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 851
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.7
- Print Recipe
- To make the topping, add 1 tbsp margarine/butter and 3 tbsp flour to a bowl and rub together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper and mix in the chopped nuts.
- Preheat the oven. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to soften and colour.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat 2 tbsp of margarine/butter in a saucepan. Stir in 2 tbsp flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add only as much stock as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste to an even consistency before adding a little more stock and repeat. Once the paste has a creamy consistency gradually stir in the remaining stock and return to the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the cream, mixed herbs and the mushroom and onion mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into an ovenproof dish and evenly sprinkle on the topping. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until top is a golden colour and crispy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)