Halloumi Skewers with Artichoke & Tomato Salad
Halloumi, courgette, pepper and red onion skewers served with an artichoke, crusty crouton and cherry tomato salad.
- 1 medium courgette (approx 240g) cut into 1.5 cm pieces
- 1 medium red onion (approx 185g), cut into 1.5 cm pieces
- 70g of mixed salad leaves
- 150g of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium yellow pepper (155g) cut into 2 cm pieces
- 250g of halloumi cheese cut into 2 cm pieces
- 280g of artichoke antipasto
- 60g of croutons
- 2 crusty bread rolls, cut into 2cm pieces
- 15g of butter (1 tbsp)
- 150ml of olive oil (10 tbsp)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 8 wooden or metal skewers
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £2.96
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 1216
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.6
- Print Recipe
- To make the marinade, mix together the white wine vinegar, mint, mustard, garlic and 6 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the halloumi and set aside to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to high. Thread the halloumi, yellow pepper, courgette and red onion onto the skewers, alternating the ingredients. Place on a baking tray and spoon on the remaining marinade, making sure everything is well coated. Grill, turning frequently, for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables and haloumi begin to char.
- Meanwhile, drain the artichokes, reserving 2 tbsp of oil for the dressing, and cut any large pieces of artichoke in half. To make the salad dressing, mix together the balsamic vinegar, chopped basil 2 tbsp olive oil and the 2 tbsp reserved oil from the artichokes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium/high heat. Add the bread pieces and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until evenly browned and crispy. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss the salad leaves, artichokes, cherry tomatoes and croutons with the dressing and serve immediately alongside the skewers.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water before use to stop them from burning. Remember to always keep an eye on them while grilling. If you do not have skewers, these kebabs can be made loose in a deep baking tray.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)