A vegetarian version of a classic Italian lasagne featuring aubergine in a rich tomato sauce.
- 1/4 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 200g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 60g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 small aubergine, sliced
- 2 value lasagne sheets
- 100ml of milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp margarine/butter
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 50 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.24
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 690
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.9
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Soften the lasagne sheets in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rub the surfaces with 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil to stop them sticking, and set aside.
- Place the aubergine slices on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Roast in the oven for 5-10 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, to make the tomato sauce, heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Stir in the mixed herbs, soy sauce, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency.
- Meanwhile, to make the cheese sauce, melt the margarine/butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste into a smooth and glossy consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Stir in two-thirds of the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagne, arrange a layer of aubergine in the bottom of a small, deep ovenproof dish. Next add a layer of the tomato sauce and a layer of the white sauce. Top with a layer of lasagne. Repeat the process until all the ingredients are used up. Finish with a layer of white sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)