This recipe works in combination with: Lamb Casserole with Shallots & Carrots.
A vegetable chilli made with sweet baby carrots, courtesy of Chantenay Carrots.
- 250g of Chantenay carrots
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), chopped
- 1 medium courgette (approx 240g), chopped
- 150g of baby button mushrooms, halved
- 3 mixed peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 400g of tinned red kidney beans, or mixed beans
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 198g of tinned sweetcorn
- 150ml of soured cream
- 5g of fresh coriander, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed chillies
- 1 tsp paprika
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £1.82
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 343
- 5-a-day per serving: 5
- Print Recipe
- In a large saucepan with a lid, fry the onion in the oil until soft (about 5 minutes), add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the Chantenay carrots, the chopped mixed vegetables and the spices and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the lovely spice aromas rise from the pan.
- Finally add the beans, tinned tomatoes and 300ml boiling water and bring everything up to the boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for around 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Check after 15 minutes or so and if the sauce is a little thin uncover for the remaining cooking time.
- Serve sprinkled with the chopped coriander and a dollop of sour cream.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)