Asparagus & Pea Risotto
This recipe works in combination with: Broccoli, Potato & Blue Cheese Bake, Home-made Asparagus Quiche, Pad Thai-Style Noodles. This recipe features in these meal plans: Lower Calorie Suppers 3, Veggie Spring Suppers.
A seasonal risotto with asparagus, peas and spring onions.
- 50g asparagus tips, chopped into 2.5cm pieces
- half a 70g bag of wild rocket leaves
- 1/2 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- half a bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 150g of Arborio risotto rice
- 30g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 50g of frozen peas
- 4 tsp margarine/butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £1.41
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 452
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.1
- Print Recipe
- Heat 2 tsp margarine/butter and 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion, spring onion and garlic for 6-8 minutes, or until soft. Add the risotto rice (stirring well to coat the rice in the oil and margarine/butter) and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it becomes slightly translucent.
- Add 50ml stock and simmer, stirring, until it has been absorbed. Repeat, adding 50ml stock at a time until the rice is tender but retains a slight bite and the liquid has been absorbed. If you run out of stock just add boiling water, a little at a time, until the rice is cooked. This will take 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the asparagus in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir the asparagus and peas into the risotto over a low heat until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and 2 tsp margarine/butter. Taste the risotto and adjust the seasoning.
- Spoon the risotto onto two plates, top with the rocket leaves and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)