Oven-roast Chicken Breasts
Chicken breasts roasted with red onion, carrots, red pepper and fennel and served with a delicious home-made gravy.
- 2 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), halved
- 2 medium carrots (approx 125g each), sliced
- 1 medium red onion (approx 185g)
- 1 small fennel (approx 250g)
- 1 medium red pepper (155g), cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), finely chopped
- 250ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 2 tsp plain white flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 50 mins
- Oven temp: 220c
- Price per person: £3.11
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 484
- 5-a-day per serving: 4.8
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Cut the fennel in half, and then each half into three wedges. Cut away the centre of the root, being careful to leave just enough to hold the layers of the fennel together. Cut the onion in half and then cut each half into three wedges, leaving the root end intact to hold the layers together.
- Place the red onion, carrot, fennel, potato, garlic and pepper in a roasting tray and drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have been roasting for 10 minutes, rub a little salt and pepper into the chicken breasts. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat and fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Add the chicken breasts to the roasting tray with the vegetables and continue to roast for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender and lightly charred.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the roasting tin and cover with foil to keep warm.
- To make the gravy, put the roasting tray over a low heat and stir the flour into the cooking juices until it forms a paste. Gradually add the stock, stirring vigorously to ensure you don't get any lumps. Turn up the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the gravy develops a thicker consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the roasted chicken and vegetables with the gravy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)