Quick Chickpea & Mushroom Tagine
An easy tagine with chickpeas, mushroom, carrot and mixed spices served with couscous.
- 1/2 small onion (approx 110g each), finely chopped
- third of a 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- half a 227g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small carrot (approx 95g), peeled and sliced
- 2 closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 40g of couscous
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mixed spices
- 100ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £0.81
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 412
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.9
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Add the mixed spices and fry for 1 minute to release the aromas and intensify the flavour. Add the chickpeas, carrot, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook the couscous according to the packet instructions to be ready at the same time as the tagine.
- Add the lemon juice to the tagine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the couscous.
A tablespoon of dried fruit, such as chopped apricots, can be added to the tagine for extra flavour.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)