Sausages with Bubble & Squeak
Sausages, bubble and squeak, peas and carrots with gravy.
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 8 pork sausages
- 2 medium baking potatoes (approx 320g each), peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots (approx 125g each), thickly sliced horizontally
- 200g of frozen peas
- 90ml of milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter
- 200ml gravy, made up from gravy granules
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £0.99
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 670
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.4
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the grill to a high heat. To make the mash for the bubble and squeak, boil the potato in lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Mash the potatoes with the milk and 1 tbsp margarine/butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the sausages on a baking tray and grill for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the cabbage for 3-4 minutes, or until it begins to wilt.
- Mix together the mashed potato, spring onion and cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp margarine/butter in the same frying pan used for the cabbage and add the bubble and squeak mixture, pressing down. Cook over a medium-heat for 8-10 minutes, or until a crust begins to form on the bottom. Remove the sausages from the grill and place the bubble and squeak under the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the carrots in lightly salted boiling water for 5-6 minutes, or until tender. Cook the peas according to the packet instructions. Drain and season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Prepare the gravy according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the sausages, with the bubble and squeak, peas, carrots and gravy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)