Morrocan Tagine with Harissa
A Moroccan style-chickpea and vegetable tagine served on a bed of couscous and topped with a harissa-inspired paste and natural yogurt.
- 2 medium carrots (approx 125g each), sliced
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely sliced
- 150g of natural yogurt
- 2 medium red peppers (155g each), chopped
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400g of tinned chickpeas, drained
- 300g of couscous
- 120ml of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 600ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £1.25
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 893
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.8
- Print Recipe
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Add the pepper and carrots and fry for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, lemon juice and 300ml vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has developed a thicker consistency. Add a little water if it becomes dry.
- Meanwhile to make the harrissa-inspired paste, mix together the tomato puree, chilli powder, paprika, coriander and 6 tbsp olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook in a saucepan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavours to intensify. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Shortly before the vegetables are cooked, prepare the couscous according to the packet instructions using 300ml vegetable stock instead of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Season the tagine to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the couscous onto plates, followed by the tagine. Top with the harissa paste and natural yogurt.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)