Sausage, Potato & Spinach Bake
A creamy dish of layered potatoes, onions, sausages and spinach baked until golden.
- 4 value sausages, halved lengthways
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely sliced
- 2 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), thinly sliced and soaked in water
- 100g of spinach leaves
- 150ml of single cream
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1/2 tbsp margarine/butter
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 55 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £1.10
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 651
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.6
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan, and gently cook the onion, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and mixed herbs to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the spinach, stock and cream and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the sauce reduces and develops a thicker consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the sausages for 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Rub 1/2 tbsp margarine/butter around the base and sides of an ovenproof dish. Dry the sliced potatoes on paper towels and use half to line the base of the dish, overlapping each slice slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon half of the spinach and cream mixture over the potatoes. Put the sausages on top and cover with the remaining spinach and cream mixture. Finish with the remaining potatoes layered over the top.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)