This recipe features in these meal plans: Hearty Favourites.
An aromatic beef and potato curry served with rice.
- 450g of diced beef
- 400g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion (approx 210g), finely chopped
- 1 large baking potato (approx 470g), peeled and diced
- 240g of value long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 3 tbsp medium curry powder
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 70 mins
- Price per person: £1.31
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 642
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.1
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the beef for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the ginger, chilli powder and curry powder and fry for 1 minute. Return the beef to the pan and stir in the chopped tomatoes, potatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 60 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Add a little water if it becomes dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Divide the rice between plates and top with a serving of beef curry.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)